This morning I decided to be an oatmeal artist and put a spin on traditional oats by experimenting with some different mix-ins: orange for a citrus burst, almonds for vitamin E rich crunch and thyme for a savoury twist. The unique result is heart-healthy (its soluble fiber does wonders for cholesterol levels), diabetes-friendly (low glycemic index) and anti-cancer (antioxidants are found in every single ingredient). These oats are gorgeous, fresh, nutrient-dense and full of earthy and rustic aromas. They’re so scrumptious, they really give you a reason to rise and shine 😉
It’s always best to make your oatmeal yourself, starting with plain oats as a blank canvas. This is because some packets of oats contain up to 8 tsp. of sugar and are high in sodium. When you create your own masterpiece, you have better control over what goes into your temple! 😉
Satiating Orange, Olive Oil & Thyme Oatmeal
Yield: 4 portions
- 2 cups plain oats (ideally steel-cut)
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme (or more, to taste)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 oranges, cut into segments
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- In a saucepan, bring 3.5 cups of water to a boil, and add oats.
- Cook 5-10 minutes, until oats are creamy. Make sure you stir often to prevent burning.
- Add all toppings and mix well.
- Divvy up into 4 bowls and serve.
- Enjoy your most important meal of the day! 🙂
Nutrition information (per portion) : 515 calories, 63 grams of carbohydrates, 18 grams protein, 10.8 grams fiber, 145 mg calcium, 3.8 mg iron.