Matcha is best known for its use in teas or lattes, but did you know this green tea powder can be used as an antioxidant-rich popcorn topping?
In today’s recipe, popcorn gets a vibrant and beautiful green makeover. The end result is a hipster (ha!), salty, low-calorie, high-fiber snack with a subtle grassy flavour and an even more subtle sweetness. This would be a great snack for munching on between meals.
Naturally, seeing as this popcorn contains green tea, ’tis a little bitter, so try adding a bit of dark chocolate chips if you want to sweeten the deal! 😉
Matcha and coconut popcorn is now a thing! 😉
Matcha & Coconut Popcorn
- 1.5 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- Salt, to taste
- 1-2 tsp. matcha green tea powder (depending how strong you want it)
- Add coconut oil to a pan, along with 3-4 kernels and heat on medium.
- Once kernels pop, it means your oil is sufficiently hot, so add remaining kernels.
- As kernels pop, shake pan to prevent burning.
- Once all kernels have popped, add matcha powder and mix with a spoon or with your hands.
- Add salt (to taste) and enjoy!