Need a good dip to spice up your life? I’ve got just the recipe for you! 🙂
Today’s dip stars artichoke, a thistle which offers up surprising health benefits. Here are a few:
- Artichokes are higher in antioxidants than foods that typically spring to mind when thinking of antioxidants (such as blueberries, dark chocolate and red wine). This is due to a higher ORAC value (Oxygen radical absorbance capacity). Artichokes have an ORAC value of 9416 as compared to blueberries which have an ORAC of 6552 (hint hint, nudge nudge: the higher the number, the better 😉 ).
- Artichokes are high in digestive system soothing fiber. A 120-gram serving contains just over 10 grams of fiber.
- Artichokes contain cynarin, a liver-protecting compound which may help you produce bile. This in turn can help improve digestion and may help reduce bloating.
This smooth tapenade tastes so unique and bright, with citrus-y, woody and buttery flavours. Here’s how to whip up a batch! 🙂
Artichoke, Pine Nut & Lemon Tapenade
- 2 cups canned artichokes, drained (2 cans)
- 1/2 cup roasted pine nuts
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Cracked pepper, to taste
- Pulse in food processor until well blended yet still chunky.
- Serve with raw veggies, crackers, baguette or as a condiment on a sandwich.
Let me know how much you like this in the comments section 😉 Peace out!