Borscht is a Ukrainian beet soup. Actually, it doesn’t get much more Ukrainian than borscht 🙂 Today’s version is probably one of my fave winter soups– veggie-heavy, of a deep ruby-red hue and extremely nutritious (contains beta-carotene, iron, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin K and fiber).
Veggie-Heavy Ukrainian Borscht
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 10 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 medium beets, peeled and diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 4 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Place broth, oil, onion, garlic, potatoes, chopped cabbage, beets and other ingredients in a large pot and heat on high.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium, stirring often.
- Cook until all vegetables are tender, about another 30 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with fresh dill.