These bars are the perfect way to use up those cranberries you bought but don’t know what to do with. Let’s be honest, it can get tricky finding uses for these tart little berries.
This is why I’m plopping a cran recipe on the blog today, and combining it with orange for a magical result. This elegant dessert is raising the bar for holiday baking. Move ova cheesecake, ’cause these taste cheesecake-y but are markedly healthier than actual cheesecake. Actually, nothing in these decadent bars is bad for you! (Pssssst, this dessert has antioxidant and vitamin-C rich cranberries, omega-3 rich nuts and anti-bacterial coconut oil – hip hip hurray!). Yummo!
This is a gooey, layered, creamy, sweet and sour treat which won’t leave you indifferent. Billowy soft with lotsa nutrients, no refined sugar and bursting with freshness. These are pretty rich so a little goes a long way. 😉
Let the raw baking begin! 🙂
Cranberry-Cashew-Walnut Bliss Bars
For the base:
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
For the cream cheese that isn’t cream cheese 😉 :
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup cashews (soaked for at least 8 hours)
- 2 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. water
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tbsp. orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- Put all ingredients for the cookie base in a food processor and pat down into an 8 by 8 inch square pan, lined with parchment paper. Place in the fridge to harden while you prepare the next layer.
- Mix all ingredients for the cashew cream cheese in a food processor and spread over cookie layer. Off to the fridge it goes!
- In a pan, heat all ingredients for the top cranberry layer and gently spread over cheesy layer. Back to the fridge it goes!
- Allow to cool in the fridge for at least a couple of hours (ideally overnight).
- Cut into 16 squares and share!
Every single bite of these showcases citrus-y orange flavour and tangy cranberries. Happy kitchen adventures to you! 🙂