Bought a 40 lb bag of local apples at a farmer’s market in Quebec city for only 8$. All hail apple season! And that partially explains my MIA-ness lately (no, really, lol). I’ve been baking apple pies, making fresh apple juice, apple ketchup, applesauce, etc. I had been wanting to make a unique apple treat and decided on making this apple galette, which is kind of like a cross between apple pie and apple crumble. I basically blew my own mind tasting it.
Here’s how to replicate it:
For the pastry:
- 2 tbsp. oats
- 3 tbsp. soy milk
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance or other vegan margarine
- 1/2 apple
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar, for sprinkling on pastry
- 3 apples
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Combine all ingredients for the pastry in a food processor. Once well mixed, roll into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes or so.
- Preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit.
- Combine all ingredients for filling in a bowl.
- Sprinkle some flour on your surface and roll out the pastry ball, until it is a circle with a diameter of approximately 8-9 inches.
- Pour apple mixture onto center of pastry and fold over the edges.
- Brush with melted coconut oil and sprinkle with brown sugar (optional).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crust has turned golden brown.