(The cute bunny mug above is from an awesome new bakery in Toronto called Maman Toronto.)
Today’s cookie recipe is a tender, old-fashioned ginger molasses cookie with a classic spice blend. Magically spicy and just like grandma makes ’em.
These wondrous cookies are concocted with blackstrap molasses, which, despite being a sweetener, are a great source of important minerals. In fact, 1 tbsp. of this dark brown syrup provides you with 27% of your daily manganese need (manganese helps for bone formation and helps you metabolize macronutrients) and 15% of your daily iron need (iron is an ally as it helps make up hemoglobin/red blood cells and thus carries oxygen around your body).
Cue the candied ginger. I love candied ginger. Its taste is so outstanding – so sweet, yet so spicy. It burns my throat as I gobble it down but I can’t stop myself. I do believe I’m a rare breed though, in that I doubt many people eat candied ginger like it ain’t no thang. Anyhow, my love for candied ginger has pushed me to find a recipe I could incorporate it into, and here we are 🙂 In these cookies, it adds a beautiful zing and extra chewiness – not to mention it is anti-inflammatory and great for digestion.
Bottom line: When you make these, your cookie jar will be empty for sure.
Let’s make them, shall we?
As good as it gets 😉
Candied Ginger & Blackstrap Molasses Cookies
Makes about 14 cookies
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance
- 2 tbsp. sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp. Blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 70 g candied ginger, chopped finely
- 1/8 cup sugar, for coating cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in another.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well, avoiding overtaxing the batter.
- Roll batter into balls (about 1 tbsp. each) and place on a lined or oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cookies are golden and cracked at the top.
- Cool for a couple minutes.
- Chow down!
Bite into these classic & soft cookies now! 🙂