Mea culpa for being so MIA lately.
There have been many major changes taking place in my life lately (excuses, excuses 😉 ), including launching my very own organic and vegan catering company (stay tuned 🙂 ). I feel like the tectonic plates are shifting and bringing me towards a better place – a place where I actually want to be. Though the process and uncertainties I am going through are, at times, a little frightening, I keep reminding myself that without change, there is no adventure in life, and that changing is learning, which means personal growth. So there!
But, now I’m back! #cantstopwontstop
And on that note of being back, allow me to share with you this fantabulous recipe I made while being MIA.
I love falafels. So very much.
When I hear the word “falafel”, my salivary glands immediately start acting up. 🙂
However, every time I gobble up falafels at my neighbourhood Israeli restaurant, my digestive tract seems to regret eating the fried things hours later.
So of course, the falafels I bring you today are baked, not fried!
These hearty, plant-based, vegan falafels are made with sterol-rich pistachios (cholesterol, you’re going down!), antioxidant-rich fresh herbs and protein-rich chickpeas. And… each one of these “nom-nom” falafels with beaucoup flavour contains a whopping 5 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber, hence, you will be hangry no more. 😉
Made with peppery basil, fresh parsley, nutty pistachios, tender chickpeas, garlic-breath-inducing garlic ( 😉 ), creamy tahini, aromatic cumin and sweet fennel, I have a suspicion even carnivores would sink their canines into this! 😉
Oy vey, I’m making myself hungry!
Gorgeous and flavourful!
Pistachio & Fresh Herb Falafel Balls
- 1/2 cup pistachios, shelled
- 2 green onions
- 1 tsp. onion flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 19-oz cans chickpeas
- 3 leaves Swiss chard (or other greens)
- 2 handfuls fresh parsley
- 1 small handful fresh basil
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground fennel
- 4 tbsp. ground flaxseeds
- 4 tbsp. water
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Falafels on point!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add pistachios, garlic and green onion to food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until a thick paste is obtained.
- Shape into about 24 falafel balls. Roll using your hands or using two spoons.
- Pop into the oven for an hour. Remove from the oven after 30 minutes (or halfway through the time it takes you) to flip the balls over.
- Eat ’em! Serve on a bed of lettuce or on a bed of quinoa + zaatar + chopped radish + pickled turnips + cucumber + tomatoes + fresh parsley + pistachios + olive oil + salt + pepper.
These are so good you just might falafel your chair (ok I’m trying too hard here – haha).
You know the drill – if you try these out, let me know how they turn out in the comments section! 😉