It was birthday time in my entourage and that meant the following – excitement about making a cake! I personally find making a cake from scratch is always a worthy endeavour.
This particular cake was a delicious way for me to use one of my favourite fruits – mango! To use a lot of adjectives, this mango cake is delectable, decadent, out-of-this-world, to-die-for, smooth, naturally sweet, wholesome and unbelievably easy to concoct. Oh, and it happens to be raw and vegan. 😉 With no flour, no sugar and no butter, Paula Deen might be confused. 😉 That said, it’s still rich and creamy, without leaving you feeling like you just ingested a brick!
Whether there is a special occasion around the corner or not, this cake is the perfect, summery end to a meal, so test it out and let me know what you all think! 🙂
Raw Vegan Mango Coconut Cake
- 1 1/2 cup mango (fresh or frozen)
- 2 1/2 cups soaked cashews (soak for 8 hours ideally)
- 3/4 cup coconut meat (fresh or store-bought)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tbsp. lucuma (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup dried coconut
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, combine all ingredients for crust and pulse until a grainy consistency is obtained
- Pat down into a cake pan and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for the filling in a food processor, blend until smooth and add to crust.
- Set in the freezer for 1 1/2 – 2 hours to help cake set.
- Decorate with starfruit, passion fruit, fresh mango, dried coconut, sliced almonds or whatever else you feel would make this prettier.