For those of you who aren’t in the know, I am a recipe contributor for Rutabaga magazine.
I felt like a bit of a phony collaborating for a magazine whose name was a vegetable I was totally unfamiliar with so I decided to remedy the situation. I decided to make this wondrous and lightly sweet soup, and now, rutabaga and I are quite well acquainted – I’d even say we hit it off! 😉
This smooth soup has subtle hints of apple and maple syrup, which round out and balance it quite nicely.
Here’s how to be a copycat and make it too! 😉
Rutabaga, Apple & Maple Soup
- 2 medium rutabagas
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 2 local apples, peeled
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond beverage
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Salt, pepper and paprika to taste
- In a soup pot, add all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook, covered, for about 30-40 minutes, until rutabaga is soft.
- Purée in blender or food processor; return to saucepan.
- Add salt, pepper and paprika to taste.
- Don’t be a soup nazi – share with everyone! 🙂
Let me know how you like it, friends!