Chedda just got betta. So much betta you don’t need chedda.
Let me start off by letting the cat out of the bag and saying that this mac’n’cheese contains no cheese. It should be called mac’n’cashews’n’nutritional yeast’n’soy beverage’n’onion’n’garlic. But that name is a little cumbersome, no?
Truthfully, I love me some mac’n’ cheese. What’s not to like about this gooey, creamy, beautifully melt-in-your-mouth-y and mellow concoction of carb-y goodness? In my valiant effort to limit my intake of all animal-based foods, cheese is one of those tricky foods. It’s the one I find most difficult to reduce. I must say, this recipe has really opened up my eyes to how cheesy non-cheesy foods can taste, if you get my drift. 🙂 Plus, I’m embracing the smidge of truffle oil. In fact, this flavourful alternative to cheesy macaroni will leave you richly satisfied with your decision to leave those beautiful cows alone. A comforting and rewarding recipe kids and adults alike will enjoy.
This you’ve gotta try.
So good, you’ll want to eat it out of the pan like a bachelor (that’s what I do #borderlineembarassing).
Comfort in a bowl.
This macaroni and non-cheese doesn’t photograph so well (this photo would come in last place at a photography contest, for sure). My photo ended up looking like a lumpy blob. But the best eva lumpy blob.
- 1 box of the pasta of your choice (use gluten-free, if required)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or soy beverage
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. miso paste (yellow or white)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. truffle oil (optional)
- Pepper, to taste
- Feel free to add in any veggies you’d like.
- Grind cashews in your food processor.
- Add ground cashews to a saucepan and mix in your almond or soy beverage, olive oil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, miso paste, onion, garlic clove, salt, pepper until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and drizzle with truffle oil.
- Top with smoked paprika and serve.
Once again, you’re welcome! 😉