So the title of this recipe is pretty much a copy/paste of the ingredient section of the recipe, I’ll admit, haha.
How did this recipe come to be?
One day, intrigued by the funky-coloured green jasmine rice available at my local grocery store, I purchased a bag of it. Truth be unveiled, this rice patiently/impatiently sat in my pantry for 4 months as I scratched my head wondering what to do with it. This past weekend though, when for some odd reason, every fiber in my body began to crave oriental food, I decided to put this rice to good use.
I. love. Thai. food.
And I’m well aware one cannot say they love Thai food until they’ve been to Thailand and tasted the real deal. I am of 0% Thai origin and have never visited the country (I’ve seen many of my friends’ pictures, does that count? lol), but, dare I say, I am pretty sure that if I were to visit this exotic country, food might taste something like this. I guess you could say this is my take on what I imagine Thai food would taste like. Someday, maybe I’ll visit the sunny piece of paradise and be proven right or wrong 🙂 .
Through online research, I’ve discovered that balance, detail and variety are of supreme importance to the eclectic and complex cuisine that is thai cuisine and this meal really exemplifies this. This recipe contains nuts, a typical ingredient in thai cuisine. Cashews and peanuts are often roasted up and added for crunchiness. Thai dishes also bring the heat. This is to say, this type of cuisine is anything but bland. Have your handkerchief ready as your eyes may water and/or your nose may run as today’s recipe is far from boring. You’ll soon find out what I mean. Moreover, this meal contains coconut, which, believe it or not, is actually a fruit and offers a wealth of health benefits such as MCT oil, vitamin E, vitamin C, fiber and electrolytes. Quite the track record, no?
Thai Bok Choy, Coconut & Coriander Green Jasmine Rice
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 2 baby bok choys, chopped
- 1 three-inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup green jasmine rice (or regular jasmine rice)
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk (use 1 cup for a creamier meal)
- 1/3 cup dried and toasted coconut flakes
- 3-4 tbsp. raisins
- Cook your green jasmine rice. To do so, rince your rice, moving your fingers through it, until the water runs clear, then drain. Place the rice in a pot and cover with water by about an inch. Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer until rice is well cooked and tender(this will take roughly 20 minutes). Remove from heat and fluff before combining with the other ingredients.
- Once rice is cooked, mix in the coconut milk, raisins and the coriander (keep a few sprigs for decoration, if you like).
- Wash and prepare the vegetables before cooking.
- Melt the tbsp. of coconut oil in a pan and add to this pan: onions, garlic cloves, bok choy, ginger, cashews and coconut flakes. Once nuts are toasted and greens are well cooked, add to the rice.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the meal.
- Plate the meal and enjoy!
Amazeballs oriental flavours. Deliriously yummy.
Allow the pungent flavours to mentally transport you to the beautiful beaches of Phuket.
Cheerio friendly faces!