Lady marmelade must have been a chia jam, because this jam is definitely worthy of such a catchy song.
I’ve already blogged about chia seed jams before, but this time around, I’m blogging about an intensely citrus-y marmelade, which is perfect for the summer 🙂 . Chia seeds give jams and spreads such a nutritional boost (the calcium, iron, magnesium and omega-3 contents are through the roof). Plus, most jams and marmelades are on the sugary side, meaning they cause blood sugar spikes, then drops. This leaves you feeling cranky and hungry. Let’s be honest, you’re not starring in “The Hunger Games” and so you shouldn’t be left searching for food and in a state of hunger right after you finish your breakfast. This is why chia marmelade differs from regular marmelade. The fiber contained expands in your stomach, distending your stomach walls and leaving you feeling mega satisfied.
The beautiful thing about chia seeds is that they can absorb up to 9-12 times their volume in liquid. In short, they are super soakers (total throwback to water gun fights when we were younger, right?). The beautiful thing about this jam is its low sugar and high spice content and how much fresher it tastes as compared to its store-purchased counterparts.
- 2 oranges, rind removed
- 1/2 grapefruit, rind removed
- 3 tbsp. chia seeds (ideally white to maintain a more vivid orange colour)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. each of cinnamon and nutmeg
- Cut each section of orange or grapefruit into smaller pieces.
- Add orange and grapefruit pieces, lemon juice, water, chia seeds, honey and spices to a medium pot and bring to a boil. You will notice the fruits begin to liquify as they heat up.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until a marmelade consistency is obtained.
- Remove from heat. Allow to chillax. Taste and add more spices or sugar to suit your tastes. If the texture seems too thin, add another tablespoon of chia seeds. Just tailor the marmelade to tickle your fancy.
- Store in an airtight or Mason jar and refrigerate.
- Allow this sunny jam to brighten up your mornings, whenever you need it.
Mocha Choca lata ya ya.