Good day ladies and gentlemen, today’s recipe will be a
red purple velvet cupcake recipe. They say purple is the colour of royalty, magic and mystery so here goes a royal, magical and mysterious twist on the infamous red velvet cupcake. These cupcakes are incredibly moist. Please know that this cake isn’t the sweetest (though the icing contains honey). If your sweet tooth is begging for extra sweetness, try adding a little bit of honey to the cake batter mix.
For the cake batter:
- 2 cups chopped red cabbage
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tbsp. ground chia seeds
- 3 tbsp. soy or almond beverage
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (I used 8 apricots)
- 1 tbsp. goji berries
For the cashew frosting:
- 1 cups cashews, preferably soaked for a couple hours
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- 4 tbsp. water (or as needed)
- Slight pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 445 degrees. Combine cabbage and oats in a food processor until mixture is very finely ground. Add ground chia seeds, water, applesauce, and cinnamon, and process ’till well mixed. Pour batter in an 8-inch square baking pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes (or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean). Let the cake cool fully before frosting.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting. To do so, blend all ingredients for frosting in a food processor or high speed blender until smooth, adding minimal water. Put in a bowl and set aside.
- Ice the cupcake. Have your cupcake. Eat it too.
Oh, I purposely forgot to mention, there is cabbage in this recipe 🙂 ….